Reflection is necessary to attain the discernment to do this, often accompanied by journaling. Running your thoughts past a wise friend and Biblical guidance also are needed, especially when it looks as if you are about to make major life changes.
A while back, I wrote down a list of five questions to ask myself daily to see how the way is unfolding. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the source. This is not original to me, and, if you recognize it, let me know who came up with it. The five questions are:
- Where in this day did I feel the presence of God working in my life and in the world?
- What in this day seemed like it was a part of my leading?
- What made me believe that?
- How does that leading fit into my personal and spiritual life?
- What did I do today to feed my spirit or move me ahead on my spiritual journey?